Parliamentary Questions on 18 Feb 2019
Dr Lee Bee Wah:
1) To ask the Minister for Manpower:
(a) what is the employment screening process for foreigners applying for a work permit; and
(b) in the past three years, how many applicants have been rejected because of their unsatisfactory records.
1) To ask the Minister for Social and Family Development in each of the past five years:
(a) how many ComCare Short to-Medium Term Assistance recipients are first-time applicants;
(b) what is the median monthly payout for first-time applicants;
(c) what is the median number of months the first-time applicants have received the assistance; and
(d) what percentage of first-time applicants have reapplied for assistance within 12 months of receiving ComCare.
2) To ask the Minister for Manpower whether the requirement for reporting work-related or workplace accidents can also include cases where an employee who meets with an accident is placed on light duty by the doctor for more than three days, whether consecutive or not.
3) To ask the Minister for National Development
(a) for each year in the past ten years, what is the number of cat-related nuisance feedback for common property areas that HDB has received involving (i) stray cats and (ii) owned cats living in someone else’s residence respectively; and
(b) whether such feedback has decreased in the Chong Pang constituency over the past 10 years.
4) To ask the Minister for Education
(a) beyond just having subject banding as an option, whether the Ministry allows students from the Normal (Technical) stream who do well in their GCE “N(T)” Level examination to do their GCE “O” Level examination if they want to;
(b) if so, how many of such students have there been to date; and
(c) if not, whether the Ministry has plans to provide this pathway.
5) To ask the Minister for Education whether the Ministry has studied the effects of streaming in secondary schools on the (i) self-esteem and (ii) confidence levels of students in each stream respectively.