PQs from Er Dr Lee Bee Wah on 3rd and 4th July 2017
1. To ask the Minister for the Environment and Water Resources
(a) whether the Government will reconsider its decision not to provide a replacement site for the Sungei Road Hawking Zone (SRHZ); and
(b) whether an update can be provided on the help given to the vendors and whether any additional help will be given to vendors after the closure of the SRHZ.
2. To ask the Minister for Health whether there is an interministerial committee looking at the different ways to educate smokers on smoking hazards.
3. To ask the Minister for Transport
(a) what are the qualifying criteria or conditions for a covered linkway to be built from the gates of a private condominium to the nearest bus stop; and
(b) in the last three years, how many such covered linkways has the Ministry funded.
4. To ask the Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills)
(a) in the past three years, what is the trend of students entering polytechnics versus junior colleges;
(b) what percentage of polytechnic graduates has gained admission to local universities; and
(c) whether there are plans to make more university places available for polytechnic students.
5. To ask the Minister for Home Affairs
(a) whether the Ministry will consider reviewing the penalties for causing public nuisance and introduce heftier punishments for those who victimise vulnerable persons such as seniors, children and disabled persons; and
(b) whether the Ministry will raise the fines for public nuisance offences and include community service as part of the punishment.
6. To ask the Minister for Home Affairs whether there are plans to work with schools to make emergency preparedness, including basic first aid skills, mandatory for students, with the goal of CPR/AED certification at secondary school level.
7. To ask the Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) what measures are in place to ensure quality internship opportunities are available to all students at vocational institutions.