Every Monday from 7.00pm to 9.30pm (Except public holidays and eves of public holidays)
Blk 850 Yishun St 81 #01-94, Singapore 760850
Tel: 6759 3413
Constituency website: www.neesoonsouth.org.sg
Interview with Dipna Lim-Prasad
Speech at PAP rally on 8th Sept 2015
Er. Dr. Lee Bee Wah is a civil engineer by training. She currently serves as Chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) for the Environment and Water Resources. In this role, she oversees the GPC’s examination of policies, programmes and proposed legislation of the related government ministries. She is also on the GPC for National Development.
She has been MP for Nee Soon South since 2006, when it was still under Ang Mo Kio GRC.
A graduate of the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) of Singapore (1985), she obtained her Masters of Science (Engineering) from the University of Liverpool in 1990 and was awarded Honorary Doctorate by her alma mater in 2011.
She established LBW Consultants LLP in 1996 and was awarded the 13thRotary-ASME Top Ten Entrepreneur of the Year 2001. Her firm was acquired by global engineering consultancy Meinhardt Group in 2014 where she is currently Joint Managing Director for their Singapore office. As a successful entrepreneur, she continues to champion for small-and-medium enterprises (SMEs) in Singapore.
Having grown up in a low-income family, Dr Lee views education and housing as key issues close to her heart. She has benefitted from a good education and takes a personal interest in helping children from low-income families gain better education. Coming from a close knit family, she believes that strong kinship and a safe home to grow and learn together is a priority.
She put herself through university. That taught her to be resilient. After graduation, she continued to volunteer in NTU and was recognised by the university in 2000 with an Alumni Service Award and Nanyang Distinguished Alumni Award in 2012. She believes that having benefitted from the country, she should give back – and she has volunteered with the community prior to becoming an MP in 2006.
She is married to a manager at Singapore Technologies and they have a son and a daughter.
Er Dr Lee Bee Wah
- MP for Nee Soon South since 2006
- Born in a family of rubber tappers
- Built an engineering company from scratch, then sold it to focus on her constituency
- One of the most vocal MPs
- Upcoming HomeTeamNS Khatib Clubhouse, parks, Yishun Sports Hall upgrading, etc.
- Initiatives for residents’ health including Designated Smoking Points, centres for seniors, dialysis centre, dementia support, exercises in every park, 50 cents kopi and teh promotion for senior residents, free TCM clinic, etc.
- Monthly litter-picking, zero-energy CC, sharing reusable items, active recycling and other green initiatives
- Covered walkways, including some of the first shelters across wider roads
- Meeting transport needs- more buses, renovation of Khatib MRT, Lentor Underpass, etc.
Policy Ideas (most have been adopted nationally):
- Lifts at overhead bridges near MRT stations
- Lifts for four-storey blocks and multi-storey carparks
- 3-Generation flats and BTO flats for singles
- Childcare centre in every BTO project
- Registration and more regulations for PMDs (personal mobility devices)
- HIP (Home Improvement Programme) for flats built after 1986 (HIP II)