Since 2015, Mr Ng has taken the kids from Nee Soon East’s rental flats out almost every other month. Some have asked him, why do this when he has so many demands on his time?
The reason he gives is simple– every kid deserves a childhood.
He said he would never forget Aliyah, a girl who shared one of her few toys with her daughter Ella. He recounted, “The children have so little, but they give so much and they have taught me a lot. That’s why I’m determined to help them, with immediate needs as well as with the systemic obstacles they face.”
Mr Ng started Project Hearts, a programme for children from the lower-income families to get together for meals and be mentored by volunteers.
He has also suggested in Parliament ways to overcome the stigma they face, for example not building rental flats away from other flats, letting them have more contact with parents who are in jail, and abolishing streaming which can make them feel inferior.
He believes every kid deserves a childhood—and a bright future.
Ng Kok Kwang Louis
• One of the most vocal MPs
• Founded animal welfare charity ACRES and built it into a self-sustaining, dynamic organisation
• Involved in grassroots and advocacy for many years before becoming an MP
• Independent-minded in his fight for the needy and vulnerable
• Oasis Waterpark @ Nee Soon East
• Chairman of Nee Soon Town Council, where he raised productivity and morale
• Zero Waste Nee Soon East masterplan
• Project Hearts for rental flat families
• Horse interaction activities for children with special needs
• Upcoming elderly hub and Chye Kay Village Memorial Garden
Removal of streaming in secondary schools
• More housing access for divorcees and single unwed parents
• One of the few backbenchers to introduce his own bill (the Wild Animals and Birds Bill)
• Pushed for more relief during COVID for SM Es and those with reduced incomes
• Spoke up for needy children, legal aid for needy, rehabilitating offenders, extending Eldershield, tax deduction for private-hire drivers, those undergoing IVF, more childcare leave, parent-care leave and annual leave and on climate change